Updated January 31, 2022.
This information can also be found on our website at sxsw.com/covid19-guidelines.
SXSW continues to plan for a hybrid event (in-person with online viewing and participation options). Recognizing that the Covid-19 landscape is changing rapidly, our best path is to continue working with both the City of Austin and Austin Public Health on our steps forward.
The safety of our attendees is a top priority. All credentialed SXSW participants of our in-person event, including registrants and wristband holders, will be required to provide proof of a completed primary vaccination series against Covid-19 or a recent negative Covid-19 test in order to collect and maintain their credentials. SXSW will accept all vaccines approved by the CDC for travel to the US. Attendees are highly encouraged to receive a booster vaccination, if eligible.
SXSW participants who choose to provide proof of a completed primary vaccination series must adhere to the following guideline: the final vaccine must be dated at least 14 days prior to credential pick-up date.
SXSW participants who choose to show proof of a negative test must adhere to the following testing protocol. The clock starts with your first test prior to picking up your credentials. Verified rapid antigen or PCR tests are accepted. Please do not bring your test stick as proof of a negative result.
A testing center will be available at the Austin Convention Center in Exhibit Hall 2. The testing intervals are based on risk based guidelines regarding Covid-19 set by Austin Public Health. Currently Austin is in Stage 5.
This policy remains subject to applicable laws and public health guidance. Please visit Austin Public Health’s Covid-19 resources page here.
SXSW is using the Clear App Health Pass to verify the vaccination status of credentialed participants. The Clear Health Pass will only work for U.S. domestic users. International attendees must bring their vaccination card. More information on how to download Clear and set up the SXSW Health Pass can be found here.
All credentialed SXSW participants should be prepared to follow Film and Music Festival venue entry requirements which may at times differ from SXSW’s. Full guidance on venue policies coming soon.
Any children attending must follow Austin Public Health guidance:
- Children over the age of 5 must provide proof of a completed primary vaccination series against Covid-19 or a recent negative Covid-19 test.
- Children over the age of 2 should wear a mask.
All policies and mitigation efforts remain subject to applicable laws and public health guidance and the circumstances at the time of the event. We will have more information soon as our policy evolves with specifics regarding testing, masking and social distancing.
In addition to the above credential protocols, the following mitigation measures will be in place:
- Attendees, SXSW Staff and Volunteers are asked to adhere to SXSW’s Health Pledge (see below) while attending or working all SXSW affiliated events.
- All SXSW staff and volunteers on-site at the Conference and Festivals will have shown proof of vaccination.
- On-site testing requirements may be a component of maintaining your credentials.
- Masks will be required in all conference session rooms, exhibitions, registration, and pre-function areas, and as determined by individual venues and client spaces.
- Masks are strongly encouraged indoors in all other areas and where social distancing cannot be maintained.
- Social distancing of at least 6’ (approximately 2m) is recommended, when possible.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be provided throughout conference and exhibition venues
- Increased public health signs, reminders, and messaging to support the importance of COVID-19 mitigation measures and good hygiene practices will be visible throughout SXSW venues.
- The Austin Convention Center, along with other event venues, have enhanced their mitigation efforts by upgrading air filtration, increased cleaning frequency of high touch surfaces, and sanitization of surfaces such as escalator handrails with U-V light technology.
Additional measures and updates will be provided closer to the event. Check back often and look for email updates.
SXSW HEALTH PLEDGE
You are committed to:
- Adhering to SXSW’s COVID-19 policies and mitigation measures.
- Wearing masks properly when required, over both the nose and mouth.
- Practicing respiratory etiquette when masks are not required, such as covering your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing.
- Exercising good hygiene, such as frequently washing or sanitizing your hands.
- Staying up to date with CDC’s recommendations for COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters approved by the CDC for travel to the US.
You will not participate in or attend any SXSW affiliated event if any of the following apply to you:
- You have tested positive for COVID-19 and have not completed CDC’s guidelines for discontinuing isolation.
- You are experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19.
- Within the previous 5 days, you have had close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, but you have not completed the Quarantine and Isolation Guidelines recommended by the CDC.
SXSW supports individual efforts and personal responsibility in combating COVID-19 and reserves the right to revoke or suspend access to anyone in connection with this Pledge in service of the health and safety of its attendees and participants.