Throughout this FAQ, the following terms have the following meanings:
- SXSW Music Festival: The SXSW music showcasing event that takes place in Austin, Texas, from March 13-18, 2023.
- SXSW Showcase: An official SXSW live music performance opportunity typically between 7PM-2AM during the SXSW Music Festival.
- CBP: Customs and Border Protection, the U.S. agency that facilitates lawful international travel and trade into and out of the U.S., and has final say on all entry decisions.
- Consular officer: A U.S. representative at a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate who evaluates visa applicants, and has the authority to approve or deny a visa.
- ESTA: the Electronic System for Travel Authorization, in which qualifying citizens of 38 countries may register in order to enter the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program, without first being required to obtain a visa.
- VWP: the Visa Waiver Program, which allows qualified ESTA registrants into the U.S. without a visa for up to 90 days, provided they have a round-trip air ticket on a qualified air carrier, do not intend to render services to a U.S. employer and otherwise satisfy CBP that they are admissible.
- B1/B2 Visa: A B1 visa is for business visitors and B2 is for tourists, but the visa itself combines both.
- O or P Visas: Work visas.